One of the most common home renovation projects consists of kitchen remodeling. Kitchens function as both a utility space for cooking and a gathering space for family and friends, attracting more foot traffic than any other room in your home. As one of the most popular rooms in your home, planning a home renovation often starts in the kitchen.
If you’re wondering, “How long does a kitchen remodel take,” you may have a deadline in mind or want to figure out when to plan your renovation project. Learn how long a kitchen space renovation might take and what affects that timeline from the experts in kitchen remodeling services in St. Louis, MO.
The Kitchen Remodel Timeline
Kitchen remodeling timelines depend on which type of renovation project you’re planning:
- Replacement Kitchen: Consisting of a straightforward kitchen design, a replacement kitchen literally replaces or updates items through methods like recovering countertops or resurfacing kitchen cabinets. Most replacement kitchen projects take between six to eight weeks to complete.
- Custom Kitchen Renovation: A full kitchen renovation can include more permanent changes to your home, such as wall removals, new plumbing or electrical wiring, and new countertop or kitchen cabinet installation. Custom kitchen renovations may take between 10 to 12 weeks.
In addition, many other factors affect how long it takes to remodel your kitchen.
1. Planning and Design
Designing your kitchen lets you choose everything from the layout to appliance and cabinet placement. While many homeowners enjoy the freedom and creativity of the design phase, the sooner you complete your plan the faster the renovation can take place. Work with an experienced kitchen designer to make the most of every square foot you have.
2. Obtaining the Right Permits
Your kitchen construction company will need to obtain any permits required by your local government, with each one crucial to the starting period of particular construction efforts. Some of the reasons you’ll need permits may include:
- Removing walls, especially if they’re load-bearing
- Adding, removing, or reworking electrical circuits
- Adding, removing, or reworking water or drain lines
3. Kitchen Demolition
You’ll need to demolish most, if not all, of your kitchen to make room for new kitchen construction and appliance installations. From the cabinets to the counters, you’ll say goodbye to your old kitchen and soon have a skeleton of a room ready for new and exciting construction.
4. Kitchen Reconstruction
Kitchen reconstruction often follows these steps:
- Installing HVAC, electrical, and plumbing and running lines to particular appliance areas.
- Applying insulation to walls and flooring, then covering with drywall and your preferred type of floor materials.
- Putting in the cabinets and countertops. Cabinets should fit right up against each other, while countertops should have a seamless, level surface.
- Handling the final touches, including installing light fixtures, placing appliances, and ensuring that everything works as it should.
What Extends My Kitchen Remodel’s Timeline?
While knowing the timeline helps answer the question, “How long does a kitchen remodel take,” you may also experience roadblocks on the way to your dream kitchen. These problems can extend your kitchen renovation’s timeline for weeks, sometimes months. Before starting on the road to a new kitchen, work with your design and construction team to ensure you’re ready to go.
Receiving an Inaccurate Timeline
Choosing the right design and construction team keeps you from running into a poorly put-together timeline. If it seems that the proposed timeline finishes too quickly, you may want to revisit your changes and consult with another remodeling company. A proper timeline won’t feel rushed, nor will it seem to extend for far longer than you originally anticipated.
Waiting on Special-Ordered Products
From custom cabinets to special-order sinks, you can completely customize your space, but prepare to wait for their arrival before your renovation company can finish your kitchen. Some items take weeks to create and ship, and if you order anything from overseas the delivery time can stretch into months.
Working With an Inexperienced Contractor
Besides providing an inaccurate timeline, inexperienced contractors often stretch their abilities to meet your expectations. They’ll promise quality work in record time, but provide shoddy results and consistently reset the timeline. You’ll also have to deal with a contractor who hires a smaller team of also-inexperienced workers, each of whom may make mistakes that extend your timeline.
Not Providing Crucial Information Up Front
Before getting started on your kitchen, ensure that you have all the necessary information to complete the job. Ask questions like:
- Does the company have all the equipment it needs, or will it charge you to rent it?
- What happens if building materials break or fail during construction?
- Will the company maintain communication with you throughout?
Understanding the expectations you can have of the company will make the whole process smoother and less disruptive to your lifestyle.
Changing Your Mind During the Middle of Construction
The most crucial element of a kitchen renovation consists of ensuring that you know what you want for your kitchen. You should have a clear vision of how it appears and functions, then communicate that to your kitchen designer and remodeling crew. When you change your mind during construction, you create a major setback that can completely disrupt the projected timeline.
Avoid major changes during your renovation by checking and double-checking what you envision against the actual plans designed and used by your renovation team.
Trust Your Kitchen Remodel to the Professionals at Rapid Repair Pro
Creating the kitchen you’ve always wanted starts by working with a professional design and renovation team to translate your vision into a real plan. When homeowners wonder, “How long does a kitchen remodel take,” they may not realize the actual balance of working and waiting to complete their design. With a realistic timeline from a professional renovation company, you can trust the projected deadline.
For custom kitchen design and remodeling services you can trust in St. Louis, MO, call Rapid Repair Pro at (800) 741-6056. We provide comprehensive services, are insured up to $2 million, offer prompt communication, and more! Reach out to request an estimate and speak with our expert team.